Built in 1912, Flathead Lake Salmon Hatchery was the second hatchery built by the State of Montana. The land was purchased from a Mr. Cramer who raised apples on the property. Money for the land acquisition was collected from the citizens of Flathead County and the Thirteenth Legislature of the State of Montana. The original land on Flathead Lake consisted of 625 feet of lake frontage, totaling 2.1 acres. The site was to be a hatchery and residence for the Superintendent of the State Fish Hatcheries. The residence was built, but the superintendent never lived in it. Stocking of various species of fish began in 1913.